Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I've hired myself as a writer...

I've hired myself as a writer for the summer and, after six days of recovering from a school year's worth of stress and last Friday's oral surgery, I think it's time to put away the pain medication and get to work. The job doesn't pay much now, but I'm hoping that by the end of the summer I'll have something more valuable than a check: a working manuscript that I can schluff off on would-be editors/friends for feedback :)

Two novel-length projects have been simmering in the back of my head for at least six months now. Maybe it's the inexperience speaking, but I truly think it will be a joy to finally get these tales down on paper (and by that I mean typed up in the magical thing that is Microsoft Word: I praise you, O Holy Computer Program, and pray that you continue working flawlessly on my laptop all summer long. We don't need another meltdown any time soon).

So, what am I writing about? One story is what I would categorize as upper elementary age fiction; the other is a non-fiction passion project of mine. That's all of the details I'm willing to divulge at the moment...more later, I'm sure.

But perhaps even more important, what does my writing space look like? Well, let me tell you about that. I sit at my old high school desk that's traveled with me from living space to living space for the past 15 years or so. It's currently stationed at the back of the living room behind the love seat facing the wall in what I like to call my little nook. My chair is a red exercise ball that I bought for ten bucks at Target two or three years ago. Actually, I think Dave bought it. On my left sits a lamp and a small stack of books: a blue composition book with all sorts of important notes on my projects hidden inside, my new day planner calendar thing, and a copy of the 2009 Writer's Market (because I like to get ahead of myself). In front of me (besides my ancient laptop) is a framed certificate that says I completed the most recent NaNoWriMo: it reminds me that, above all else, I need to give myself permission to write crap every day. Finally on my right sits my printer, a jar full of wine corks and writing utensils, and an empty bowl of gelato (which, if I'm not mistaken, means "soft but delicious" in Italian).

So with my writing nook all set up, my mouth nearly healed from having my wisdom teeth removed, and nothing but the good 'ol dog days of summer before me, I am ready to embark upon my writing mission. I hope all goes well....

5 comments:

  1. You are awesome, and you can totally do it!

    Anyway, here are a couple of options if word craps out:


    1. Google Docs. (docs.google.com)

    If you have a google account (and I know you do) you can write documents in the cloud. And it can read word documents so you can upload the stuff your working on as a backup. Even if you don't use it as a document editor.

    Also, google gears allows you to work offline. If you are ever writing somewhere without internet access.


    2. Open office. (openoffice.org)

    This is a free alternative to the almighty word. It is different and takes a little getting used to. But it is fully featured and free to download.

    There are some other options too, but I don't have as much experience with them.

    It shouldn't matter though, because word is going to work fine and you won't need to use either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eric! One of the things that deteered me from writing last summer was that my computer kept sputtering out and dying - a month-long process that almost ended in my trusty laptop's funeral. Luckily, the good folks at Dell rescued me after only speaking with 7 different people in India and clocking aproximately 20 hours on my cell phone in holding time. I think that's what they refer to as "record time" in the biz. Anyway, technically not a Word problem, but still Word was unavailable to me. I'm totally doing the Google Docs thing as an additional backup though! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! I am excited to read the story (if I'm chosen to be one of the select few who can read it) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hit enter too early ... dang it.

    I meant to say:
    No problem!

    One more nice thing about Google apps is that your stuff is available from any computer with interbutts access. Which is handy, if one is acting up, or you steal a new netbook from some unsuspecting grandmother.

    Which I can't "officially" recommend, but it is gratifying.

    OK, now I am done for real.

    ReplyDelete