Friday, July 3, 2009

Poop Bags, Sidewalk Chalk, and Michael Jackson

Odin and I live next to Evergreen Park. It's a pathetic little thing set in the middle of six or seven different apartment complexes. Odin can't run off-leash, chase balls, or even go after one of the many squirrels living there (though he often tries to drag me along on such adventures). He can walk with me and do his business and that's about it. In fact, the park's lone perk is the stations of free poop bags that dot the walk and the plethora of available trash cans to throw the used ones away in. Because of this, you can usually find us there strolling along in the afternoons which is exactly what we were doing right after I found out about the King of Pop's passing.

The death of Michael Jackson was a profound experience for many of us. It wasn't the fact that this super famous weird dude kicked the bucket - that was bound to happen sometime. Nor was it that this instant "family" of mourners suddenly formed on Facebook - the first time I felt connected to a real, caring community via the Internet. But I wasn't quite sure what made it profound until that afternoon with my dog in the lame-o park: the sidewalk chalk made it all make sense.

Despite being a pathetic excuse for a green space, Evergreen Park does actually have two small groves of trees - there might even be as many as twenty to thirty canopied conifers hiding small groups of teen pot smokers at any given time. It was as the paved path wove its way through this shady area that Odin and I came across a huge section of chalk art dedicated to the late King punctuated with many pink, blue, and yellow stars:

"Michael Jackson is always a real true star!"

Okay, despite the obvious lapse in grammar, this statement composed with child-like handwriting made me realize why I was so struck by Michael Jackson's death: it wasn't about the man or the music; it was about the memories.

It isn't really his death we're lamenting, but the death of something that once meant so much to us. We grew up with this guy in our heads, well, his music anyway, and those tunes punctuated many of our memories. His passing killed some of those bits of previously untouchable innocence and made me nostalgic for what once was.

I took a couple of photos of the artwork with the camera on my phone, but they didn't turn out well. I suppose that's the nature of memory itself: what we remember is often richer than what we can physically hold on to. So though I can pull my copy of "Number Ones" off the shelf and grasp in my fingers the magic that once was Michael Jackson, the CD doesn't even begin to compare to that summer in 1987 or 1988 when my friend Jeremy and I serenaded the cars whizzing down highway 47 from his front porch. We sang "Bad" and "Beat It" over and over again. We danced. Jeremy even wore a single glove on his hand and grabbed himself yelling the tuneful M.J. signature "he, he!" We weren't playing the music, we were living it. That's what I miss.

3 comments:

  1. I just never was into Michael Jackson. I did not sing his songs when I was a kid. The first pop songs I ever remember loving? Sadly, it was New Kids on the Block. Somehow I don't think there are going to be crowds of mourners when Joey, Jonathan, Jordan, Danny and Donny pass on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, Jen, I have some pretty fond memories involving those guys too - Valentine's Day, Memorial Coliseum, 5th grade. It was my frist ever concert and I was in love :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post Jess. Oh MJ...Jen, Sweet Home was apparently cut off from the world as MJ played a major role in my childhood. At work we had a full day of musical tribute to him. I think our clients loved the tunes of Thriller drifting under the exam room doors, but I don't know how our patients felt about our dance moves. I know one malamute in particular DEFINITELY did not appreciate our rendition of the Thriller dance.

    ReplyDelete