Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Last unplanned day of summer...

Summer is waning. I struggle to hold on to my optimism as I stare another school year straight in the face. This has become a routine over the last couple of years. Gone is the excitement I used to feel about the first day of school. Instead, it's been replaced with work and maybe a few I-hope-I-don't-suck butterflies. In some ways, I'm okay with this transition. Until I think of all those first-essays-of-the-year I'll be reading in a little over two weeks.

I feel queasy.

But it won't last long. Just like summer. Today is my last day of nothing-planned vacation. Except I've already planned things, made a mental to-do list just like every other day of my life. It includes weeding the garden, washing the dishes, folding laundry, and cleaning the bathroom. I'll get myself to the gym sometime today too and go buy a gift for my friend Kari's baby shower this weekend.

That's what my summer has deteriorated to. A list of things. Always incomplete.

I feel the pull. The evenings are cooler. The spiders are filling up my backyard. The days flip by. I am some weird migratory bird. I might not feel the excitement, but habit is pulling me back.

I can only hope the magic of learning will once again enchant me.

No comments:

Post a Comment